Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

Sit Here for the Present, Please

Well, it's Monday again.  Darn things keep coming around, don't they?  Yet with this nice weather we've been having here in Las Vegas, they don't seem as bad as they do when the weather turns nasty. Am I right?

The Surprise Box - What could possibly be inside?

So, today I have a present for you.  Actually, it's my take on a "Surprise Box" that I first found on Pintrest this past summer.  The inspiration came from another teacher's blog that I happen to like - TheTeacherWife.blogspot.com  and if you want to read her original post, click here.

Here's the skinny on this little thing:  wrap up a box that has a lid (that's the secret so you can a: open it easily and b: reuse it time and time again).  When you want to introduce a unit, lesson, something you want your students to really be interested in, put it or something that will lead to it IN THE BOX.  Put the box in/on a desk at the front of the room and leave it.  The kids will go NUTS trying to figure what's in the box.   They will ask all day long - (what a cool idea to build anticipation!)  When YOU are ready, gather all your little sweetums all around you as ask questions or start a discussion about your lesson.  This leads to fantastic dilalouge amongst your little darlings as they start to think "inside the box".

In my attempt at this strategy, I had Pop Rocks for a writing lesson inside, waiting patiently, one for each student.   It worked.  Not only were they super excited about the writing they were going to do, the writing they DID do was fantastic!

How did I make this little beauty?  Well, I happened to have a set of those stacking boxes used during Christmas.  I found a medium-sized one and used the lid to the next-size up bigger box.  I had to since the wrapping paper made using the right box with the right lid a little too tight.  I found all the ribbon and bows at the Dollar Tree, and the wrapping paper was stuff I had laying around the house. So this prop cost about $3 to make.  However, if you do not have access to Christmas stacking boxes, try your local Hobby Lobby store or Target and find a hatbox.  Try looking at your local Goodwill or other  thrift store.  You never know what you'll find lurking in the home goods section.  Probably right next to the guy who wants to buy your grandpa's clothes for $.99. Sorry, I digress.  That song was on the radio on my way home.

Try it!  Let me know how your class liked your Surprise Box.

Hope you all had a terrific weekend!
Until tomorrow -

Shauna'mar



No comments:

Post a Comment