Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Brown Bagging My Memories

So today my kiddos worked on their Brown Bag Memory Books.  I think they turned out really cute and I hope their parents like them!  I'm posting mine here to show as an example as well as step by step instructions on how to make your own Brown Bag Memory Books.  I love this project because 1)they are super cheap to make  - all you have to buy is a bag of brown lunch sacks from your local grocery store [by the way, they also come in red, blue, and white] and 2)this project can take as long as you want it to: one hour, two, all day - really the length of time devoted to this is entirely up to you.

First my example:
My finished book took a total of 3 bags, while the student version took 2.  You can add more sacks to create more pages - as long as your stapler holds them in!



Unfolded flaps create "secret" flaps that can hide answers to riddles, questions, or anything else!


Glue in extra pages using colored paper and paper "hinges" to create extra memory space!


Create "pockets" by using the open end of the sack!








Use the "secret flap" to uncover answers to trivia questions or to hide your friend's autographs!
Cute huh?

And now for the instructions: (These are REALLY easy)

  1. Start off with two (or three or four) lunch sacks.
  2. Lay them down on top of one another, alternating their direction. (This is the most important step!)
  3. Fold them in half like a hamburger.
  4. Staple them in the middle.  
  5. Done!
  6. Now fill with treasures and memories.  
I made the books for  21 students in about 15 minutes while they were finishing a test.  That's how easy they are.  I had taken pictures all year long of the various projects and lessons that we did.  I put them all in a word document and shrunk them down to about 1'' big.  I then printed out about 5 sets (of 10 pages for each set) and had the kids share the pictures they wanted to glue into their books.  If they all wanted the same picture, I could copy and paste it several times and print out 1 or 2 pages and they could cut and share.  

Before we began we brainstormed the projects we did over the course of this year on the board to help those who said that they couldn't remember anything.  Amazingly, those were the kids who had most of the suggestions to write on the board! It was really neat to hear the kids as they were finding their pictures and several times I overheard them saying things like: 
"I remember when we did that - the pumpkins were really slimy inside!"
"The apple pie was the best thing we made with Mrs. H"
"I tried to draw the graph we made from our pumpkin unit"
"Those marshmallow monsters tasted so yummy!" 
"I still have my bean ruler!"

It's times like these that make me think, that yes, we DID do a lot this year.  They remember the little stuff when we as adults seem to dwell on the big stuff - that kids was mean and tattled on everybody or this kid struggles with capitals, and then those nagging thoughts start to get in the way - thoughts like "Did I do enough for them?  Did I provide enough of those 'authentic learning experiences' that research shows are beneficial?"  "Did I try my best?"  It's when I hear them talking about what we did do, not what we didn't do is when I realize that yes, I did do my best.  I tried my best.  I gave my best.  And really, that's all I can give.  

Until tomorrow, with all my best, 

Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment