Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rain, Rain, Stay Awhile...

So, I drove home in the rain today.  I had to turn the radio off and just enjoyed the soft ting-ping of the rain drops as they hit the metal roof of the car.  I listened carefully to the gentle whoosh of the wipers as they went back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.  I miss the rain.  Being originally from the wet side of Washington State, (Bainbridge Island specifically) I am used to the rain.  You get used to the constant cold drip down the back of your neck as you walk from the your car to the awning of the grocery store, the never ending squeak of wet sneakers on the tile floor, and the dripping umbrella in the corner making a puddle as the day grows longer.  I miss the dull thud of raindrops as they cascade down, hitting the broad flat leaf of the laurel bushes, the soft springiness of soaked moss beneath your feet, and the sweet smell of damp cedar wood. I do not miss the 9 months of never seeing the sunshine, the never-ending cold and flu season, and the days the power is out due to trees falling over electrical lines because their roots are so wet that a small breeze brings them down. But days like this in Las Vegas help ease the temperamental heart problem of homesickness every once in a while.  If I could mix the best of both places - well I would probably end up in San Diego.

Blodel Reserve, Bainbridge Island, Washington


Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!  Teachers Pay Teachers is having a giant sale until the 8th! Head on over and use the code TAD13 to save up to 28% of your wish list.  While you're there, head on over to my little portion of this vast online retail world and see if there is something that you might like!

I am super-excited that I am putting the finishing touches on my first fairy tale craftivity!  I hope to have it up and active before the weekend, but life may have other plans - it always does.  Don't worry - you'll read about it here as soon as it's up!

While I was trolling Pintrest yesterday, I found this and thought THIS WAS ME!!! Whoever thought this little meme up hit it on the head. But instead of three, I had 5 absent!  Holy cow - I had forgotten what it was like with only 19 students instead of 24 crammed into my tiny little room.  In retrospect, 5 does and can make a difference.  Oh well, we do what we can with what we have as best as we can.   Right?


Remember, even though sometimes it rains, it doesn't have to dampen your whole day.  It's just water, and it, and you, will dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment