Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Sweet Summer Is Gone and Classroom Reveal 2014-2015

It's gone. Over. Another summer has come and gone. I've spent the last two days turning this: 
And this: 
Into this: 
No Wonder Woman I'm tired! 
As you can see I've turned a pole of teacher junk and an empty room into "The Hall of Justice" where all my superhero friends hang out.  Superman himself greets you at the front door with any important messages you need for the week, Ironman looks over our Common Core vocab word wall, Captain A helps to remind us to follow the rules, Batman stands villi grant over our Outstanding Work, Spidey looks over our rotation board for math & reading, and finally the Green Lantern shines his light on our regular word wall. 

Tomorrow I will start pulling materials: textbooks, student journals, and copies I need for the first week or so. I will also complete my "goodie bags" and place them on the desks. Because I am slightly crazy and everything must "coordinate" I splurged and ordered my Tervis Tumbler for school. Check this out: 
Ain't it swell? It should be here before the 20th. I had a superman insulated cup with a straw last year, but...Bean grabbed it and dropped it, shattering it into at least three pieces, none of which could water any longer. Oh well, I still love him.  

Well that's about it for me tonight. I think I will sit outside and enjoy what's left of the cloudy day and dream of home (I miss you Bainbridge Island!) while my darling child picks all the baby limes off of the lime tree. 

Until I return, I remain yours,

Shauna





2 comments:

  1. I love your room! This is my 1st year teaching 2nd grade and my 1st year at a new school as well. I'm very excited and super scared! I just accepted this job last Friday and have met my principal and have not seen my classroom. I start work tomorrow for a 2day staff development before school officially starts on Thursday. I am not sure where to start. I bought new stuff for my room but unsure whether I actually need them or not. I visited my school just now hoping that there are teachers decorating but no luck. Then I saw the sign about back to school night tomorrow....which is my first day of work! I have no idea what to do! Not sure of the schedule nor the lessons to teach so I don't know what to tell the parents. I have been teaching kindergarten for 13years before accepting this new challenge. I would appreciate some advice and suggestions that you may have. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! How exciting! My number one tip is just to take one thing at a time - if you don't you are going to get overwhelmed very fast. Because you just started and back to school night is so soon, have you considered a "Under Construction" theme? Home Depot sells caution tape, you can find hard hats at the dollar store and since 2nd grade is constantly "Under Construction" having your room 100% done is not a worry. I would love to see your room (in whatever state) when you get done!

      Delete