Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

I Quit

I have a quilt that is one-third of the way to being done hanging on my wall in my office.  It has been there since we moved in, 3 years ago.  I haven't finished a quilt in that long.  When I began quilting, I finished five quilts in as many weeks.  As soon as one was finished, I would start another one, the ideas just popping into my head were not as fast as my fingers or sewing foot would allow.  But, one thing led to another, one project started, then set aside, kept me from going back.  Now I have a design board filled with white and yellow squares mocking me in the gentle breeze of the ceiling fan that seem to say...you gave up on us.  You're a quitter not a quilter!

And they are right.  I am a quitter.
So here is my official resignation.

I quit.  I quit being lazy in my planning - I will try to get my act together and become better prepared in my everyday lessons.

I quit being disorganized.  I will become better at remembering that "everything has a place, and there is a place for everything" that my Nana taught me but I had since forgotten.

I quit being lackadaisical in my approach to important things.  I will try to place emphasis on the important and dismiss the unimportant in my life and my teaching.

I quit being tired, bored, and staid in my presentation.  I will try to have my nails, face, and clothes look like the professional that I am.  I do not need to wear jeans and a t-shirt to work everyday.  Dresses are pretty and they make me feel pretty.

I quit procrastinating until the last minute.  I will plan, lay out, and organize the things I need in advance.

I quit putting things into piles.  I will put my clean clothes away when I am done folding them instead of just putting them on the dresser.

I quit hoarding onto things that I will a) never use b) don't really need in the first placed and c) can replace easily if I ever DO end up needing it.  I do not want to die under a large stack of newspapers and clean, folded clothes.

I quit "collecting" things that I don't need.  Do i really need all the Twilight books when I don't read them anymore?  I read all three 50 Shades books and got rid of them right after, so Twilight - you're history.

I quit  hanging onto school forms, evaluations, administrator memos, and any other piece of paper that finds its' way into my mailbox at school.  Scan what I need into my computer, read the memos, then toss them away.

I quit being the teacher who is known more for fun, rather than substance.  I want to be known for a balance of both, not heavily to one side or the other.

I quit being inconsistent.  Consistency is my new mantra and I will chant it everyday.

I quit being everyone's "Go-To-Girl."  I am now my own "Go-To-Me-Girl."

I quit saying "Yes" and I now own the word "No".  I will use it everyday.

I quit trying.  Instead, I will DO.

I quit thinking " already know how", and instead I will think "How do I do...".

I quit the mentality that I "know" and I will accept and adopt the mentality of "I want to learn".

I quit "someday I will" and will move on to "today I will."

I will quit looking at that unfinished quilt and I will finish it.  I will let my little boy take a nap under its warmth, and I will let it soak up his baby drool and spilt milk.  I will let him roll around on it under the sunshine, and I will let him wrap his favorite animals up it at night, and I will let him make a tent out of it and the cushions from the couch.  I will let him tie it around his neck and become a superhero, gently crushing his enemies and thwarting the nefarious criminals and their dastardly deeds.  But I can't let him do any of that if it is still tacked on the wall.

I quit.

Do you want to quit too? Leave a comment below.

Shauna

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I am struggling to do the same. Right now I have a ton of papers I've printed from: Pinterest, TPT, and TN. I have piles everywhere. I find that I'm very good at collecting things, but fail at organizing them as I collect. I want my office, bathroom, closet, kitchen,,,,,,, ORGANIZED!

    ReplyDelete