Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dollar Store Treasures

I love the Dollar Tree, Target's The Dollar Spot, and the 99 Cents Store.  There's just too much good stuff that one can put to use in the classroom.  That being said, today, I'm taking you on a tour of my recent findings from the above mentioned stores over the past two weeks and a short description of how I plan to use them.  Let's get started, shall we?

I feel like I've won the lotto!  Look at all this crap wonderful stuff the Bean and I have found!

Holds a picture  - was thinking of trying a new management tool: I'll put 5 of them up on a board while I'm with small groups.  If it gets too noisy I'll take one down.  Once they are all gone, the class might lose 5 minutes of recess or something.  

Themed erasers:  Great for counting, grouping, or  fractions.

These make great chair pockets for library books, unfinished work folders, or  stuff they need at a moments' notice.  

SMall dry erase boards (I got one in Batman, Superman, and the Justice League.  I'll hand them by the door and whomever needs to use the potty, go to the nurse, or leave the room can write their name instead of passes that get left behind.

Folders.  It seems no matter how many the kids bring in, you always run out .

Clipboards.  Students always seem to find one then EVERYBODY needs to use one.  

Retractable fly swatters.  Great for reading the room, playing the game SWAT!, and smacking each other in the head.  Hopefully the later wont happen while I'm watching.

Superhero Stickers.  'Nuff said on this one.

Alligator clips.  I thought I could use these in a center for greater than/less than.  Smething else is bound to come up as well.

These microfiber things are the BEST at cleaning a whiteboard.  Just add a spray of pure clean water, and you will not find a better whiteboard eraser.  Better yet, just toss 'em in the wash, and they are as good as new.  No more cheap erasers that fall apart, never clean and just smear marker all around.These ones even have loops for easy hanging on a hook!

Superhero rope pens.  Never be without a pen again!

These came from Target: 4 in a package for 1.00 (that's .25 cents apiece!)  Center work, individual work, and I want to try to create the longest compound sentence this year with my students.  I think these will work great!

Mini-bags ( I got blue, green, red, and orange: superhero colors of course) for the 1st day of school treats.  3 to a package for 1.00 at Dollar Tree.

Gold poster letters.  I am going to label the times for lunch, specials, and recess on the  wall and the letters I had last year ended up being too big, but I was pregnant and didn't really care.  This year, Smaller is Better.



Well, there you have it.  A quick and dirty guide to all our treasures under a buck.  If you have any ideas for any of the products I've listed here, leave a comment below.  


  Always, 
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment