Search This Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2014

S is for Spelling

I never was a good speller.  I remember having a list every week, studying oh so hard, only to fall flat on my tush come Friday and the spelling test.  Over the years, my spelling has gotten so much better due to couple of reasons.  1) I read.  And read, and read.  Did I mention that I read? If kids read a lot, they see the right way to spell words and how to use them in context.  All those experts who tell you that it's super important for kids to read at home and school - not kidding.  2) I write.  I write this blog (which you do not have to tell me how remiss I am about not getting back into since March), I write little stories that seem to impress the dogs, and I write poetry.  I know when I have misspelled a word because it doesn't look right.  Now, I know that I am not perfect - just look through yesterday's post and you'll find a word here and there that is totally wrong.  I love/hate my iPhone with its awesome (I say that with sarcasm) autocorrect feature.  But the point is, that I use the words that I am trying to spell everyday.  3) I got older.  Spelling is a developmental thing.  A first grader is not mentally equipped to handle a word such as "antidisestablishmentarianism." They would look at their list if that word was on it, and run to the hills.  I know I would've.  But now, I have skills that help me with big words like that: chunking, phonics, and digraphs.  Spellcheck.

I grew up in the time before spellcheck, SpellingCity.com, before anything dot com, or WikiStix.  All I had was a sheet of paper and a pencil, my mother grilling me at dinner time, a SpeaknSpell and alphabet magnets on the fridge.   Nowdays, we have a ton of resources that can not only help us gear our lists to children's' needs, but resources both online, and off to help them practice those lists and use them in everyday contexts not just for Friday's "BIG TEST."

Hot off the press from the following website I found a huge collection of task cards that I have printed, laminated and placed in a spelling center for Word Work. I didn't use them all however, so read through them all before tossing them into your center.  Check it out yourself and download your copy.  It's free.

Spelling Task Cards

http://www.teacherweb.com/VA/ThurgoodMarshallElementarySchool/MrsStamp/spellingcards.pdf

Teachers Pay Teachers

All you have to do is type in "Spelling Activities" in the search box and you will hundreds of hits to choose from.  Narrow your search by grade level and go to town.  You'll find a lot of sellers that have spelling activities for free to try out!

Well, my Bean has discovered my modem and all it's flashing lights that he absolutely must push.  So I'll sign off now and leave you wondering what tomorrow's post will be about!

Until then,

Shauna



No comments:

Post a Comment