Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Back to School Tips and Tricks Part 1

My grandmother once said, "If you got something to say, say it.  If not, don't." Sound advice if I ever heard any.  Which might explain my absence over the last few days.  Apparently, I had nothing to say.  But, today is a different story.  I am going to share a few tips and tricks for going back to school in an easy, no stress kinda way.

I know, right?  No stress? Ha!  That's a good one!  No really - try a few of these tricks and maybe your transition from Summer Vacay to Back to School will be easy.  

Tip 1 - start early.  If you can, go in to your building before you are supposed to.  In my district, we are "supposed" to report for duty on August 20, and school officially starts on the 25th.  I am able to officially pick up my keys to my new digs on August 11 and I am going to make the most of it.  That whole week I've got planned - lists made and ideas in motion.  

Tip 2 - pick one thing and do it to completion.  Personally, on the day I get my keys, I am going to take a room inventory (because I still don't know what I am inheriting) and then I'll start on unpacking.  Here's what I'll put up probably on the 1-2nd day:
*Bulletin board fabric and borders
*Job chart
*Anchor charts (3-4 to start the year with)
*Rules and consequences 

Tip 3 - Make a list of what you want to accomplish that day. For example here's my list for the third day:
*Arrange desks into groups
*Unpack and store math stuff 
*Unpack and store small group reading stuff
*Post Math Rotation and Reading Rotation Boards
Once those chores are done, I'll feel like I've accomplished something, the room looks a little more like the room I want, then I'll feel like I can go home for the day.

Tip 4 - Break large jobs into chunks.  Just like teaching reading strategies, chunking can be done with huge jobs too.  If I spent 1-2 days from sun-up to sun-down I could get the room looking great.  But why?  Breaking the job of getting a room ready over the course of a few days is just plain smart.  
If you have a lot of wall space that you feel must be covered, take one wall per day.  If you have a lot of cubby-type storage spaces, tackle one section at a time.  Little by little and hour by hour your room will begin to take shape and you will have a space that only you can relax and enjoy your year in, but one that shouts to kids coming in that "This is a safe place! We will learn in here! We will have fun in here!" And really, isn't that what its all about in the first place? 

That's it.  4 tips to help your transition back a bit more easy.  Of course having a giant cherry coke from Sonic doesn't hurt either!  

In the coming weeks I'll post more tips and tricks as well as a classroom reveal and before & after pictures.  Next week I am going to focus on procedures for morning and afternoon seat work, and discuss Whole Brain Teaching that I am super excited to try this year.

Until then, I remain loyally yours, 

Shauna



No comments:

Post a Comment