Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Fan and Pick Cards and a FREEBIE!

I have been busy these past few days.  I just finished uploading a few new products to Teachers pay Teachers and I'm here to 1) promote them as any good seller would, and 2) to give one away!  

Basically, they are sets of Fan & Pick Cards correlated to the 2nd grade Trophies basal readers.  My goal is to create a set for every story in the book - that's 30 stories! Did I know that before I undertook this project - maybe.  But, as I am now 2/6 the of the way into it, I can't stop now.

What is Fan & Pick?  Basically it is a Kagan strategy for cooperative learning.  Designed to be played in groups of four, it can be played in pairs, only the two students have two jobs to do instead one.  Fan & Pick helps students in six major areas of learning:
  • Teambuilding 
  • Social Skills 
  • Communication Skills 
  • Knowledge Building
  • Procedure Learning
  • Thinking Skills
These are the rules.

*Each group gets their own set of cards.  (In my classroom, I photocopy the cards onto colored paper to help with organization.  I also laminate them for durability.)
*Students are numbered #1-4

1. Student #1 holds the cards out in fan and says, "Pick a card, any card" to Student #2.
2. Student #2 then picks a card, reads the question aloud, and allows 5-7 seconds of think time.
3. Student #3 then answers the question.
4. Student #4 responds to the answer by doing one or more of the following:
  • checking the answer for true/false, right/wrong type answers
  • giving the correct answer if wrong, praising Student #3 if answer is correct
  • rephrases the answer in his/her own words, or giving an example of where the information in the text is
5.  Students rotate roles, one person clockwise for each new round.

Simple, huh?  My students really liked this game this past year.  I liked it for observation purposes, not only when the brass came in and saw everyone engaged (bonus!) but for MY observation - speaking and listening is a standard! Some of the answers the students gave were really thought provoking and showed their understanding of the story in question.

Wait...you said you were giving one away.  Where's the proof, Harris?  
Well, hold your horses, it's right here! Just click on the link and you'll be taken to a google docs folder where you can download your very own copy of the first story in the book:  The Mixed Up Chameleon!  If you like what you see and want more, (well, who wouldn't) you can click on the link below each picture to take you directly to the TeachersPayTeachers page where you can get the first  5 stories for ONLY $7.00!  

Each set consists of the elements you see above.  Click here for the link for your free copy today!

Trophies Just for You: Being Me Bundled Set

Trophies Just for You: Helping Hands Bundled Set


Okay...self-promotion spiel over.  For now.  Check out the links if you're interested.  I hope you like them and your students as well.  It really is a fantastic strategy to use for comprehension and it works great not only in groups, but small groups and centers as well.  Once you teach the rules, each set of cards plays the EXCACT SAME WAY.  Other bundled sets for the rest of the stories will be available soon, so keep checking back.  

As for my first baby, Sir Bean is thriving in his backyard pool.  He is in and out AT LEAST 10 times a day.  I'm tired of wasting swim diapers, so he's skinny-dipping it from now on.  I'll save the swim diapers for when we go to the real pool at the YMCA.  

Love the skivvies! Nananana Batman!

Little fish! 



I.m trying to beat the heat by staying in from of a fan, with the AC on, and the ceiling fans on high.  OtterPops, sweet iced tea, and watermelon straight from the fridge help too!  

Next time I get a minute or two of free time, I will introduce to you to something called "Power Writing."  It's awesome.  I haven't forgotten about my summer reading list either - don't worry!  It'll happen, I promise.

Until next time (hopefully tomorrow),
Shauna










No comments:

Post a Comment