Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Well That Was Fun...Not.


   I just finished two days (read 16 hours) of training over my summer break on a new reading supplemental program. My critical eye tells me that it could've been done in one, but they didn't ask me.  Oh well, I was paid for it, so I really shouldn't complain but I will anyways.  The program is called "Flying Start to Literacy" and it looks simple enough to implement. I can certainly see the potential for students, so I'm kinda excited about trying it out.  As the year progresses, I'll talk more about it and if anyone out there who is reading this blog has any comments, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  

On a different track of thought, at the training, I was introduced by a teacher buddy about a website called plickers.com. So I went home that first night and looked it up.  Now this website really got my brain cells ticking.  This is what I learned:

Pluckers is a site that allows you to print off QR codes for multiple choice questions ( a,b,c,d, yes/no, true/false) for each student.  The only "technology" you as a teacher need is your own smartphone or tablet.  You assign each student a different set of cards and when you want an informal assessment on a question, they hold up their card and you scan the room with your device. You get instant data that you can use to transform your teaching and it looks hella cool.  I personally can't wait to try this one out.  Once again, if anybody out there is currently using plickers in your classroom, please share your thoughts below in the comments.  

Track of thought derailment number two: speaking about technology, Bean has discovered the iPad. His current favorite is YouTube and to be more specific, the Mother Goose Club Playhouse channel.  He watches those videos like a whore watches her crack.  Crazy!  But he loves it, and who I to deny him educational tech while I can empty the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, and MAYBE make a glass of sweet iced tea.  This is my munchkin.

                                    
  What can I say? Edison by his side, sippy cup too,this kid is ready for the board room! 

As for my summer reading list, I'm still plodding along.  I'm on to the book "The Power of Our Words" and it is a powerful subject.  So powerful that when I'm done, I'll have a series of posts about how it is helping me rethink my speech in class.  I can't wait to share with you what I'm realizing.  Stay tuned for some major rethinking! Exciting stuff, I tell ya!

I'll sign off this evening with this adorable duo.  Can you spot Edison? 😉
What a cutie! 

Until tomorrow or whenever I get another free minute or two, 
Shauna

 

No comments:

Post a Comment